Plan Your Trip
The Island of Hawaii, commonly referred to as “The Big Island”, has plenty of places to explore and activities to do. You’ll see nature at work: from the volcanoes and lava fields, to the waterfalls and rain forests, and black, white and green sand beaches.
Big Island of Hawaii Activities
The Big Island has a wide variety of activities to suit every interest:
- Horseback Riding
- Scuba Diving
- Whale Watching
- Sport Fishing
Big Island of Hawaii Attractions
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is the largest park in the state and the island's most popular destination.
- The Imiloa Astronomy Center of Hawaii presents 100+ exhibits in its 12,000-square-foot gallery, exploring the connections between the Polynesian star navigators, early observers of the stars, and modern astronomers, with real-time information direct from Mauna Kea's world-famous observatories. The theme of human exploration and voyaging runs throughout the center's exhibits.
- Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park has petroglyphs, Hawaiian temples, fish ponds, and other historic artifacts in its 1160-acre park.
- Puuhonua o Honaunau or Place of Refuge was a sanctuary in ancient times and is now a sacred historic site.
- Akaka Falls State Park has a hiking trail and offers views of two beautiful waterfalls.
- Hapuna Beach is consistently called one of the best beaches in the United States.
- Various coffee farms and plantations offer tours and tastings for an authentic experience of world-famous Kona coffee.
Dining in Kona
There are a variety of dining options in Kona for any type of budget. Here are some must-try local favorites:
- Fresh poke bowls at Umekes Fishmarket Bar and Grill - Kailua-Kona, 808-238-0571
- 100% Kona coffee, hand-crafted foods, and cocktails at Island Lava Java - Kailua-Kona, 808-327-2161
- Nightly entertainment, oceanfront views and happy hours at (Huggos) On the Rocks - Kailua-Kona, 808-329-1493
- Award-winning local plate lunches at Broke Da Mouth Grindz - Kailua-Kona, 808-327-1113
- Crepes, cakes, coffees and teas at Peaberry & Galette - Kailua-Kona, 808-322-6020
Big Island of Hawaii Transportation
Hawaii Island has two major airports: Kona International Airport (KOA) on the west side of the island, and Hilo International Airport (ITO) on the east side. Aston Kona by the Sea is located about 10 miles south of the Kona airport.